He is one of the lawyers recommended for cooperation in Belarus by such international legal rating agencies as Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500, IFLR1000, Who’s Who Legal, the World`s Leading Lawyers for Business, PLC Cross-boarder Mergers and Acquisitions and PLC Which Lawyer. In 2008, he received the Themis Legal Award from the Belarusian Republican Union of Lawyers for his professional achievements and for active participation in professional activities of the juristic community.
Chambers about Valery Papakul: “… he knows everything about law; he is a great attorney-at-law with a perfect record…”
IN PRACTICE SINCE 1992.
- Providing legal support to major transnational corporation with entering the Belarusian market, including the entire range of issues on setting up, structuring and organizing business in Belarus (taking part in development and execution of investment agreements with the Republic of Belarus, as well as providing expertise in drafting and adopting legal acts);
- Managing M&A projects including legal due diligence, in banking, telecommunications, IT, retail and real estate sectors;
- Representing a foreign shareholder at sale of a stake in a Belarusian bank;
- Advising and following up on an investment project on organization of furniture production in Belarus financed by European banks for a total of more than Euro 70 mln;
- Following up on project financing transactions and legal support of investment of consortium credits from development banks;
- Advising and following up on opening of a Belarusian bank’s representative office abroad;
- Full-range support of the process of acquisition of a Belarusian bank by a foreign bank, including the conduct of legal due diligence.
- Managing the project of merging Stepanovski, Papakul and Partners and Vashkevich, Sapego and Khrapoutski legal firms;
- Managing the project of organization of Stepanovski, Papakul and Partners subsidiary legal firm in Moscow, 2011.
- 1994: Faculty of Law, Belarusian State University (with honors);
- 2008: Executive MBA, Leon Kozminsky Academy of Entrepreneurship and Management, Warsaw, Poland;
- 2010: Business Owner Academy, IFL Swedish Management Institute, Stockholm School of Economics (2010).
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
- Minsk City Bar Association;
- International Bar Association (IBA).