Dmitry Semashko is an experienced attorney at law, ranked by Chambers Europe and Minsk City Bar in the field of dispute resolution in Belarus. His practice focuses on commercial cross-border litigation and arbitration. Mr. Semashko has represented clients in Belarus, Russian Federation, and Kazakhstan. He has particular expertise in the field of administrative law and state-involved disputes.
Chambers Europe about Mr. Semashko: “…”He gets to the point immediately,” a client says, adding the advice was laid out in a “very clear and short” manner. He is involved in the firm’s key mandates, advising big corporate clients.
IN PRACTICE SINCE 2006
- successful defense of copyright of the largest American software producer, Microsoft in Belarus, conducting the first anti-piracy legal case of Microsoft in Belarus
- successful representation of the world’s largest Swiss chemical company in its litigations in Belarus
- Successful defense of Belarusian client in unfair competition litigation against the German international nutrition company;
- successful defense of a major French perfume company in a dispute with a customs agency for Euro 500,000
- successful representation of a German subsidiary construction company in its dispute with a tax agency for USD 96,000
- successful defense of a Belarusian company in its dispute with a tax agency for USD 670,000
- successful client representation in an antitrust agency and court on appellation against a decision on the antitrust law violation in part of unfair competition on the commodity market of toy construction sets
- Successful represented the subsidiary of French international food company as a creditor in the bankruptcy case
- Successful represented the Swedish track manufacturer in litigation against Belarussian national insurance company;
- Successful represented leading international healthcare and diagnostic services provider in real estate acquisition litigation in Belarus;
- Successful defense of Belarusian company in litigation with Tax authority for USD 700,000;
- Successful representation of a Dutch join venture company in International Court of Arbitration for USD 250,000;
- Advising an Austrian engineering company on tax matters in Belarus;
- Due Diligence (dispute resolution and administrative law risks assessment) in investment projects (National Agency of Investment and Privatization, Eurasian Bank of Development).
- 2018-2019 Young International Council of Commercial Arbitration Mentoring Programme
- Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court, Belarusian National Round Judge, 2018
- International Legal Resource Center, ABA Section of International Law, Expert, 2017 – pres.
- UNDP project “Promotion of the Republic of Belarus in the creation of the Institute of Tax Consultants”, Tutor on tax disputes, 2014
- World Justice Project Rule of Law, Expert, 2013-pres.
- BSEU Legal Clinic, Visiting Lecturer, 2008-pres.
- American University Washington College of Law, DC, USA, International Commercial and Investment Arbitration
- UC Davis, Extension, CA, USA
- Belarusian State Economic University, School of Law, BA with honors, High School of Management and Business, MA in jurisprudence
- Personal liability of Shareholders in bankruptcy, Supreme Court of the Republic of Belarus, 2015
- White Collar Crime, Institute for Retraining and Qualification Upgrading of Judges, Prosecutors and Legal Professionals, BSU, 2015
- International Law in Advocacy Program, ILIA, 2014-2015
- Trial-advocacy Training, ABA ROLI, 2013
- General course on Intellectual Property, WIPO, 2011
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
- Minsk City Bar Association, Belarus
- Young Arbitration Forum International Chamber of Commerce (YAF ICC)
- Young International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (Young ICSID)
- RAA40 (Russian Arbitration Association)
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration YICCA
- Young Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG, The London Court of International Arbitration, LCIA)
- Young Singapore International Arbitration Center (YSIAC)
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP)
- Global Alliance for Justice Education (GAJE)